In the report about Hewlett Packard’s direct involvement in the occupation, the company is used as a case study to discuss the role of international and local corporations in Israel’s mechanisms of surveillance and control over the occupied Palestinian territories.
The Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories is maintained and preserved by daily practices of surveillance and control. In recent years, these practices have increasingly relied on technological mechanisms provided by international and local corporations. Hewlett-Packard (HP) is one of the companies that unable this technological supervision and oppression.
Through its subsidiary EDS Israel, HP is the prime contractor of the Basel System, an automated biometric access control system installed and maintained by HP in checkpoints throughout the occupied Palestinian territories (oPt).
Another control mechanism with which HP is involved, is Israel’s ID card system, which reflects and reinforces the state’s political and economic asymmetries as well as its tiered citizenship structure. HP was charged by the Ministry of Interior with the manufacturing of biometric ID cards for the citizens and residents of Israel (Jewish and Palestinians). In addition, HP also provides services and technologies to the Israeli army.
Furthermore, two of HP’s technological service providers in Israel are Matrix and its subsidiary, Tact Testware, which are located in the illegal West Bank settlement of Modi’in Illit. HP further participates in the “Smart City” project, implemented in the illegal West Bank settlement of Ariel, providing a storage system for the settlement’s municipality.
- “Big Brother” in Jerusalem’s Old City: Israel’s Militarized Visual Surveillance System in Occupied East Jerusalem
- Caterpillar Imports of Bulldozers to the Israeli Army Is on Hold
- Cisco's Involvement in the Israeli Occupation: Cisco's Involvement in the Israeli Occupation
- Danish Companies Provide Services in West Bank Settlements
- Elbit Systems' Complicity in the Assault on Gaza 2014
- Facts on the Ground: Heavy Engineering Machinery and the Israeli Occupation
- Ford’s Sales to the Israeli Army
- Hewlett Packard (HP) And The Israeli Occupation
- Hewlett Packard (HP) Renewed Its Contract With the Israeli Ministry of Defence for the Maintenance of the Basel System in Checkpoints
- Hewlett Packard Splits Into Two Separate Companies: Hewlett Packard Enterprise and HP Inc.
- HP Will Continue Maintaining the Basel System Until the End of 2015
- Motorola Solutions to Provide Encrypted Smartphones to the Israeli Army
- Privatizing Security: Corporate Involvement in the Checkpoints
- Proven Effective: Crowd Control Weapons in the Occupied Palestinian Territories
- Signal Strength: Occupied: The Telecommunications Sector and the Israeli Occupation
- The Gendered Aspect of Israeli Checkpoints in the OPT
- The Israeli Ministry of Defense Expands HP’s Biometric System in Checkpoints
- Volvo Provides Buses Used as Mobile Interrogation Rooms by Israel's General Security Services
- حقائق على أرض الواقع: المعدّات الهندسيّة الثّقيلة والاحتلال الاسرائيلي
- في صيانة نظام "بيزيل" حتّى نهاية العام 2015 HP سوف تستمرّ شركة
- نجاعة مُثبتة: أسلحة السّيطرة على الجماهير في الأراضي الفلسطينيّة المُحتلَّة