Israel’s highly militarized response to the coronavirus crisis exposes the deep military bias that underpins its economy and political regime. A series of recent collaborations between Israel’s military and medical sectors, facilitated by the military’s research directorate, offers military corporations a way to benefit from the crisis and diversify their product offering.
The Israeli Ministry of Defense (IMOD), army and state-owned and private military corporations have been at the forefront of the Israeli government’s coronavirus crisis response. Their conspicuous involvement, hailed by the Israeli media as a demonstration of social solidarity and civic engagement, exposes the deep military bias that underpins the Israeli economy and political regime and the symbiosis between the civilian sphere and the military apparatus.
One of the features that stand out in the Israeli case is the conversion of military production and Research and Development (R&D) into a medical national business enterprise. Seemingly overnight, the Israeli Directorate for Defense R&D (DDR&D) was transformed into a medical technology hub, top secret intelligence units were repurposed into medical intelligence gathering bodies, and the largest Israeli military corporations became contractors for the medical sector. These developments expose the dominance of the military sector in Israeli commercial R&D and present new opportunities for military corporations to gain materially and symbolically from the crisis.
In this flash report, Who Profits will investigate the coronavirus-related activities of the Israeli military establishment and private enterprises, focusing on new initiatives reportedly launched by the three largest and most lucrative Israeli military corporations: the state-owned Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and the publicly traded Elbit Systems.
- “Big Brother” in Jerusalem’s Old City: Israel’s Militarized Visual Surveillance System in Occupied East Jerusalem
- Agribusiness as Usual: Agricultural Technology and the Israeli Occupation
- Caterpillar Imports of Bulldozers to the Israeli Army Is on Hold
- Cisco's Involvement in the Israeli Occupation
- Danish Companies Provide Services in West Bank Settlements
- Elbit Systems' Complicity in the Assault on Gaza 2014
- Facts on the Ground: Heavy Engineering Machinery and the Israeli Occupation
- Ford’s Sales to the Israeli Army
- Hewlett Packard (HP) And The Israeli Occupation
- Hewlett Packard (HP) Renewed Its Contract With the Israeli Ministry of Defence for the Maintenance of the Basel System in Checkpoints
- Hewlett Packard Splits Into Two Separate Companies: Hewlett Packard Enterprise and HP Inc.
- HP Will Continue Maintaining the Basel System Until the End of 2015
- Infrastructures of Dispossession and Control: Transport Development in East Jerusalem
- Insuring Dispossession: The Complicity of Five Israeli Insurance and Pension Companies in the Violation of Palestinian Rights
- Israeli Repression of the Palestinian May Uprising: Suppliers of Crowd Control Weapons
- Motorola Solutions to Provide Encrypted Smartphones to the Israeli Army
- Privatizing Security: Corporate Involvement in the Checkpoints
- Proven Effective: Crowd Control Weapons in the Occupied Palestinian Territories
- Repression Diplomacy: The Israeli Cyber Industry
- Signal Strength: Occupied: The Telecommunications Sector and the Israeli Occupation
- Technologies of Control: The Case of Hewlett Packard (HP)
- The Gendered Aspect of Israeli Checkpoints in the OPT
- The Israeli Ministry of Defense Expands HP’s Biometric System in Checkpoints
- Tools of Dispossession in the Naqab - Virtual Launch Event
- Tools of Dispossession in the Naqab: Development and Military Projects
- Volvo Provides Buses Used as Mobile Interrogation Rooms by Israel's General Security Services
- الردّ الأمنيّ والعسكريّ الإسرائيليّان على الوباء: دلالات وتداعيات
- حقائق على أرض الواقع: المعدّات الهندسيّة الثّقيلة والاحتلال الاسرائيلي
- دبلوماسية القمع: صناعة السايبر الإسرائيلية
- في صيانة نظام "بيزيل" حتّى نهاية العام 2015 HP سوف تستمرّ شركة
- نجاعة مُثبتة: أسلحة السّيطرة على الجماهير في الأراضي الفلسطينيّة المُحتلَّة
Find A Company